Spring is finally here. In ayurveda that’s a major turning point of the year. The cold season has ended. During the winter due to all the heavy food, the dampness and cold temperatures the body collected mucus (kapha dosha). Now the first sun rays of spring come out to literally “melt” that mucus. Kapha dosha gets aggravated.
It’s the perfect time for detox and get that mucus out. But How?
- Exercize/ yoga
Kapha Diseases in Spring
In spring we are prone to diseases that relate to dampness and mucus in the body: cough and cold, sinusitis, congestions, lung infections, respiratory diseases, chest infections, asthma and all kinds of allergies.
Children and women are especially affected by these problems because their bodies contain more kapha (water and earth element).
Ayurvedic Spring Diet
To prevent these problems the right diet and lifestyle is crucial. “Agni”, the digestive fire is low now, so the food should be light and vegetarian or vegan. The use of spices is good to aid digestion.
Heavy food, milk, dairy and sweets should be avoided. If you heat milk and drink it with spices (e.g. Indian chai) this counters its Kapha-aggravating effect. Still, milk should be taken in moderation. Goat milk and nut milks are less mucus building than cow milk.
Honey has a heating effect on the body and is typically recommended by Ayurveda for Vasant (spring). However, right now the honey in Germany is highly contaminated with the carcinogen pesticide glyphosate – even the organic qualities. So better no honey at the moment.
- Light food
- Vegetable soup
- Boiled or steamed vegetables
- Use warming spices: cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, black pepper, chili, cumin,…)
- Consume ginger, especially dry ginger (ginger tea, cook with ginger)
- Snack on almonds instead of cookies or sweets
- fried and heavy food
- sweets, especially icescream
- cold cow milk (rather boil it before drinking or take the lighter goat or plant milk instead)
- yoghurt and cheese
- red meat
- Now is a good time to do vigorous exercise: run, dance, work out, go for long walks, do yoga. Do whatever you like. Move your body!
- Spring is always a good time for new beginnings. Why not start a dance class or a regular yoga practice now?
- Watch out for special detox yoga specials now. For instance Kundalini Yoga offers a range of special cleansing and detoxifying kriyas – physically and emotionally. If you are in Berlin come to my Monday classes for the detox special!
- Avoid sleeping during the day
If you suffer from any allergies now, try this natural anti-allergicum:
RECIPE FOR A NATURAL ANTI-ALLERGICUM (ANTI-KAPHA)
Fry 1 teaspoon of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of ghee in a pan and take it in hot milk.
photo: Brooke Lark via Unsplash